Makes 2 x 1lb loaves
In a measuring jug, mix:
• 6 flat teaspoons of longlife yeast
• 1 pint (20 fluid ounces) or 600ml of warm water
• Half teaspoon of honey
In a bowl, mix:
• 2lb / 1kg of bread flour
• 2 teaspoons of salt
• Drizzle of oil
• Stir the honey, yeast and warm water and leave to froth (about 10 minutes)
• Rub the oil, flour and salt together until there are no lumps
• Combine yeast mixture and flour;
• Knead well (15 - 20 minutes)
• Leave in a warm place to rise until doubled in size
• Knead again, gently for a couple of minutes
• Shape and place in bread tins or on trays to make rolls or shaped bread.
• Leave to rise again until doubled in size
• Bake at 200° C or Gas Mark 6 for 30 minutes (loaf) or 20 minutes (rolls). Cooked bread sounds hollow when it is tapped on the bottom.
• Cool on a rack.
A few points...
Freezes well and makes great toast!
Vegans can substitute sugar for honey.
If you have any special requirements please ask a facilitator duriing the breadmaking session or contact us before you arrive.
"Tuesday's bread cooled in the fridge overnight, sliced on a heavy wooden board, cut with a sharp serrated bread saw. First 2 slices toasted with lashings of butter, the rest placed in the freezer."
Peter Harvey, facitlitator.